Belmont Camp Summer 2018

Summer’s here and the time is right For Camping in the heat….

On Monday 2nd of July, 9 pupils 4 staff members and 2 dogs piled into the school minibuses and set off for the Lake District, after a quick pit stop at McDonalds in Lancaster we arrived at the campsite; a beautiful plot of land right on the banks of lake Windermere. We set up camp and made our first meal – chilli con carne and rice, and then had a few hours of relaxing in nature and before we knew it, it was time for bed, both staff and pupils took themselves off to their tents for a decent night’s sleep as we knew that we’d need to be well rested for tomorrow’s activities. ..

The following morning, we woke up, had a morning dip in the lake and had a breakfast of bacon and sausages butties. Jim, the Outdoor activities leader, split the camp into two groups depending on which activity we wanted to do and we set off. One group went off to do some climbing and another went mountain biking. The mountain biking was a fantastic experience, however it was right in the middle of a heatwave and some of the bridle paths we were using were incredibly steep and so we were reduced to pushing our bikes up the paths before we could ride down the opposite side of the hill in 30 degree heat – it was very hard going at some points and showed how hard working and mature the pupils were that they all got around the course successfully without any complaints or incidents. The climbing group also managed extremely well and had a great time at Lansdale.

In the Evening, half the group stayed on camp and had some free time to go swimming in the lake and build a camp fire and the other half went into Hawkshead to watch the England – Columbia game. After an extremely tense penalty shootout penalty shootout, England were through to the quarter finals and we went back to camp, tired but thrilled England had managed to progress.

On Wednesday, we again split into two groups and one half Kayaked from camp to Wray Castle whilst the other half walked there. We moored up in Wray bay, had our lunch, some of us went up to explore the castle and then swopped around; those that had Kayaked up to the castle waked back and those that walked, Kayaked. We arrived back at camp about 5 O’clock, had another dip in the lake, threw on some clean clothes and headed to Ambleside for a meal in a very fancy Restaurant. After the meal, we said our goodbyes to Jim, the outdoor instructor and headed back to camp, stopping en route for some cheesecake and ice cream which was quickly eaten and then most of us collapsed into our tents, exhausted from the previous two day’s exploits.

On Thursday morning, we woke up, had breakfast and started to pack away the camp, it felt a little surreal – despite only being there for three nights we had become used to sleeping out in the tents and returning to civilisation was going to take a little getting used to. After packing up all the equipment, hitching the bikes to the minibus and doing a final sweep of the campsite we set off back to school, a little wearier and redder than when we’d set off, but one thing everyone agreed on – it had been a fantastic experience both staff and pupils would remember for a long time to come.